Wednesday, January 31, 2024

losers vs winners games


This is an idea I can't stop thinking about: Winner's Game vs. Loser's Game In the 1999 tennis book, Extraordinary Tennis for the Ordinary Tennis Player, author Simon Ramo broke down the difference between amateur and professional tennis: Amateur tennis is a Loser's Game. 80% of points are lost on unforced errors. You win by avoiding errors and waiting for your opponent to make errors. Professional tennis is a Winner's Game. 80% of points are won on incredible shots. You win by hitting incredible shots. I don't play tennis, but this is an idea that extends well beyond the confines of the court into every area of life. There are two core insights here: 1. You have to know what game you're playing. There's no point trying to hit magnificent shots if you're playing a Loser's Game. You're better off keeping it simple and avoiding unforced errors. Similarly, there's no point trying to play conservatively and avoid unforced errors if you're playing a Winner's Game. You're better off trying to hit the elegant shots. 2. The game you're playing might change as the levels change. What starts out as a Loser's Game can become a Winner's Game. Example: Your early career years may be defined as a Loser's Game. You just need to avoid big mistakes and get the work done. Your later career years may be defined as a Winner's Game. Outsized rewards go to those who hit the magnificent shots. I can't stop thinking about this idea. Ever since I came across it, I feel like I'm seeing it everywhere. Three questions I'm asking myself as a result: 1. What type of game am I playing? Am I being compensated for avoiding mistakes or for executing beautifully? 2. Is that the type of game I want to be playing based on my skillset? 3. How might the game change as I rise through the levels? Consider these questions and the idea of the Winner's Game vs. Loser's Game in the months ahead.  

I promise it will change how you look at the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chlorophyll and Hemoglobin

  Massimo @Rainmaker1973   Chlorophyll and Hemoglobin The major difference is that plant blood carries a Magnesium (Mg) molecule where our ...